Friday, August 20, 2010

on being abundantly blessed with produce

Lately, produce buying has become a it of a hobby.  Several times a week I buy produce, wash it, store it, cook it and eat it.  I think I could buy a bit more at a go, so I wouldn't be buying it as often, but the stuff goes off so quickly, and I don't want to waste anything. I've thought about signing up to get produce boxes from Los Poblanos Organics, but here is the thing: There's all kinds of produce that I buy regularly to put in smoothies. If those things didn't wind up in the box, I'd still have to buy them. And, while I understand a person can pick and choose a little with what's inside the boxes, if I got a box of beets and watermelon (not likely, because they're different seasonally,I think, but let's just say...), I'd have to launch it in to orbit or give it away or something.  It's not that I don't like beets and watermelon, I love them, but they're Not On My List.  And I don't want you to think I'm complaining; I'm not. But there are days when I wish I had a Produce Faerie.

On average, this is what I'm buying per-week. For anyone with a family, this probably won't seem like much.

Kale (2 pre-washed bags full, or 2-3 large bunches)
Bananas (approximately 14)
Apples (about 6)
Peaches, plums or other assorted fruits (between 5-10)
Berries (only I've found that Costco is a lifesaver for these, either fresh or frozen, so I haven't had to buy them much.)
Lettuce (2 heads a week)
Tomatoes (4-5)
Bell Pepper (1)
Baby carrots (yes, I know, they're not really baby carrots. 1 bag)
Seedless cucumber (1)
Mushrooms (1 container)
Broccoli, zucchini, green beans, and/or any combination of other delicious-looking veggies to serve with dinner.

...and I think that's it.  And believe it or not, I'm actually saving money, because even though I generally buy organic, I'm not going out to eat as much, and I'm not impulse-buying junk food.  I do, however, think the folks at Whole Foods and Sunflower Market are getting sick of looking at me.  I have every intention of checking out farmer's markets. There are a couple nearby that actually run during the week and are open late enough for me to get to them.  I lament the fact that I work Saturdays, because I'd really love to visit the market in Corrales; I hear it's quite something.

No comments:

Post a Comment